Laboratory Skills (Applied Science) CTec (Cambridge Technical)
OCR CTEC in Laboratory Skills (Applied Science)
Why study this course?
• If you want to work within a science organisation or organisation that uses science.
• If you want an assessment that combines examination with practical assessment and portfolio-based assessment, that covers a variety of scientific fields.
• If you enjoy areas of laboratory science. Forensic science, medical science, chemistry, Biology and Physics.
• If you would like to go to university and study sciences and plan to study an additional science at A Level.
• If you are interested in a route to employment in the science industry or within organisations that use science.
• Medical Physics Technician
• Drug development
• Quality Control Technician
• Biotechnology – Brewing Industry • Scientific Journalist
• Chemical Engineer • Forensic Laboratory • Chemical Analysist • Farmer
• Food Industry
• Unit 1 Science Fundamentals, which is worth 25% and is externally assessed.
• Unit 2 Laboratory Techniques, which is worth 25% and is externally assessed.
The remaining three units make up the rest of the marks and are internally assessed.
These units include:
• Unit 6 Control of Hazards in the Laboratory
• Unit 18 Microbiology
• Unit 21 Product Testing Techniques.
Miss Winfield or Miss Harrison